Home Forums Gauntleteers 2019 3rd Challenge

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Chy Burch 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

“The Chemicals Between Us”

Your next challenge is to read and critique “The Alchemist’s Feather” by Erin Cashier, which appeared in the September 10, 2009 issue of Beneath Ceaseless Skies. No frills, no college essay format, just critique a peer.

The Alchemist’s Feather

In a review/critique, we look for all the things that make you tick as a reader. What do you think of the characters, the plot, and the mechanics? What would you have done differently? How does the story compare to others you prefer in the genre? Above all, do you enjoy it? It’s that simple.

Have your stripped-down, straight-up, back-to-basics crit of “The Alchemist’s Feather” in by the one-week deadline, and you’ll be in the hunt. You may choose to include fancy additions and flashy support material in your review, but it will not be able to outweigh your honest-to-God opinion, or the conclusions you draw from reading. Critique a peer; don’t overthink it.

Deadline: Wednesday, October 16 @ 10PM EST.

Any questions, you know where to find us.

How’s everyone doing with this?

I’m nearly done–largely because I will be out of town tomorrow so I need to upload by this evening or I won’t be in at all.

Of course, I might have been done already if I hadn’t decided to present my honest-to-bog opinion through the means of interpretive dance.

Which reminds me. Does anybody have a phoenix feather I could borrow? And maybe a pair of tongs? All mine keep incinerating in my hands, and I’m running out of fingers.

DimitraNikolaidou
    Participant

I just finished the review, and I’m uploading it promptly.
    Just to rant: in-between the gauntlet challenges, we had to prepare a speech for a convention and write another short story for a workshop. Add the role-playing sessions I am storytelling, and I could use an alchemist’s elixir to pick me up. However, I am pretty sure Gauntlet rules forbid supernatural help.

DimitraNikolaidou
    Participant

…aaaaand of course I had to resubmit. I added a II to the second version. Can I have a reassurance that the second file went through?

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

Be reassured, Dimitra; it’s there, with its “II” and everything. 🙂

And I really don’t think we have anything against supernatural help. Use it if you got it, I say.

I’m less sure about the validity of interpretive dance in a Gauntlet entry, but then, I haven’t seen it yet.

Sounds busy, Dimitra!

I’m less sure about the validity of interpretive dance in a Gauntlet entry, but then, I haven’t seen it yet.

Here is a live preview:

Zoidberg dances on a table

Don’t try this one at home, folks. I’m a professional.

(Note: I am not a professional.)

And that’s my entry in! It definitely took more time than I was thinking it would, phew.

Good luck to those of you still working. 🙂

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

Haha, I can hear that gif!

DimitraNikolaidou
    Participant

Now you are telling me?
    Where is that pesky apple-peddling witch I drove away…

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

Do not accept apples from witches! This is not a Gauntlet rule, but a life lesson others have learned the hard way.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.