Home Forums Gauntleteers 2016 Final Challenge

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Steven Lugo Steven Lugo 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Steven Lugo
    Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdEDx_lKkPM&feature=youtu.be

Final Challenge: “Trailer for Your Muse”

Your Final Challenge is to watch the following movie trailer, and craft a short story based upon it. Your goal is to create a story different than the movie itself, but one that has stemmed from the same material. One that is—we hope—much better.

When life gives you tomatoes, make ketchup: movie trailer for The Purge.

For the next two weeks, we encourage you to pull out all the stops, bring your A game, and go hard in the paint. You have two weeks to do so; we don’t place any restrictions on graphic content; there is no specific word count limit for your story (only that it should make sense for whatever you’re writing).

Although we are asking you to ‘flip the script’ in this round, we are not asking you to write us a script. Instead, write us an awesome short story.

You know, before we go any further, let us make one thing clear. If The Purge is your favorite movie of all time, good for you. We don’t hate The Purge. We don’t believe we are the harshest film snobs out there (at least compared to Rotten Tomatoes, or the rest of the internet). But accept one thing. If you have already seen it, and like it, that doesn’t mean you can’t make it better. Better still, it means you can take the foundations of the story in a whole new direction. Have you not already delved into the world of fanfiction? You have creative freedom on this.

The beauty of this round is that you don’t even have to see the full movie (though you may pursue it if you wish). What you create will already be different because you are you, and Hollywood is Hollywood; the real key is to make it awesome. And take our word for it, many believe this film could have been much more awesome.

You are encouraged to change the name of your new story from ‘The Purge’ to anything you please, or to name characters who appear in the trailer, but are established later on, anything you please. Our best advice? This trailer should get you started. Use it, but don’t live and die by it. How can you make the images we all see fit into the story only you can write?

In case you’ve forgotten, here’s what’s on the line: Brass Ring

This is the final leg of your journey here. Let’s make it a memorable one.

Final Deadline: Thursday, December 8th @10PM EST

Profile photo of Alexis A. Hunter
    AlexisA.Hunter
    Participant

OH FUN! (And sooo appropriate what withe current events in the US…)

I have a question or 800. Basically, I’m looking for a bit of clarification on how much of the source material (the trailer) must be present in our stories? Like is this a thing where we take that trailer and spin wildly off of it and present whatever we come up with (which might be steampunk or sci-fi or whatever else) or are we actually writing fanfiction set in The Purge world? Or somewhere in between… And must scenes from the trailer *be* in our stories (again, recognizably, if changed)?

Pardon all my questions! I’m eager to jump into this.

Profile photo of Travis Burnham
    Travis Burnham
    Participant

I, too, have similar questions! Thanks for asking, Alexis.

And thanks for the cool challenge, Keymasters!

And good luck and fare thee well, to the two other Gauntleteers!!!

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Hmm, figured this would have been obvious, but you have more freedom than you seem to think. I’m sure you don’t need us telling you that if you want to get them out of that house and into a new setting, then you should come up with a storytelling way to do just that.

Profile photo of Chy Burch
    Chy Burch
    Keymaster

I just wanna point to a line from the round announcement post–“you can take the foundations of the story in a whole new direction”–and say that one person’s interpretation of what the foundations are could vastly differ from another’s, is it not so?

Though, of course, if you get so obscure with it that we’re not convinced you followed the prompt…

Profile photo of Alexis A. Hunter
    AlexisA.Hunter
    Participant

Thanks very much for the answers. I think I’ve got an idea brewing… >_>

Profile photo of Shawn Proctor
    ShawnProctor
    Participant

Thanks, everyone, for the fun and judging. Enjoy doing your patriotic duty.

Profile photo of Chy Burch
    Chy Burch
    Keymaster

A week from now? A week! You guys, we are so excited to read your stories, and we are so excited for you to surprise and awe us. Merry Gauntlet, Gauntleteers, and may the creative odds be ever in your favor–for that is in our favor as well. We do love having a good story or three to read.

Make the judging difficult, Gauntleteers. That is our greatest pleasure.

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Only three days to go, Gauntleteers and Gauntlet fans! We’ve just received our first entry. We’re watching and waiting.

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

A couple hours left! Let’s see some entries!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.