Home Forums Gauntleteers 2018 First Challenge

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Nishank 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Welcome, welcome. Come one, come all.

Thank you for participating in a wild quest for treasure, the kind that would make Ernest Cline and the producers of Ready Player One proud. As promised, here is the one and only literary tournament dedicated to writing, reviews, and all the right kinds of anxiety. In the weeks ahead, you will be challenged to respond to prompts while mean-mugging, and to produce your best work while under pressure.

New and up-and-coming writers: you are here for a reason. The Gauntlet is tough enough, so don’t psych yourself out.

Professional writers: do you think you’ll win just because you’ve popped up in a few magazines? We’ll see about that.

Writers who don’t care to be labeled, categorized, or herded into groups: we’d say you’re halfway to the center of this labyrinth.

So without further ado, Vance Joy, we can lay it all on you now:

First Challenge: Harlan Ellison Memorial Round

This past June, Science Fiction, Television, and anyone who cares deeply for storytelling, lost one of their trailblazers. A highly talented and often controversial figure was Ellison. But there is a George Eliot quote that comes to mind when we think of him: the important work of moving the world forward does not wait to be done by perfect men. We know this much because when this contest was a lot smaller, and less well known, we ran an Ellison review round to great and comedic effect.

Alas, perhaps this write-up in Fortune and this memorable rant about paying writers will tell you about the author better than we can.

Your First Challenge is to read and review “He Who Grew Up Reading Sherlock Holmes” by Harlan Ellison.

The story appeared via Subterranean Press in 2014, and can be found here: “He Who Grew Up Reading Sherlock Holmes”

In this review, we would like to know first and foremost your honest opinion. Do you like the story? Dislike it? Are you indifferent to it? What we want is an in-depth look at this. Take us through the tale, and tell us why you feel the way you do. And, such is the nature of the story that we would also like to know what conclusions about the plot you’ve come to, if any, by the end of your reading.

Use our submission form to enter your review by Sunday, September 9 @ 10 PM Eastern Standard Time. That’s two weeks to write. Deadlines are firm. Nearly 20 individuals have signed up to compete so far, but only eight can advance to the next round.

Finally, please use this forum for any questions about Round One, or about anything at all.

Good luck to everyone,
    WYRM

AlexisA.Hunter
    Participant

Hmm, the site to read this story won’t load. I shall check again tomorrow! Good luck, fellow Gauntleteers!

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Anyone else experiencing problems? It just loaded for me.

AlexisA.Hunter
    Participant

I checked again like an hour later and it worked. Maybe all of us were just trying to read it at once and killed it! 😛

Nishank
    Participant

Hey Guys,

Is there a word limit to the rant- i mean review. (Pardon me, I read the story thrice but…So lots of angst in me, non-existential type mostly :D)

Thanks,
    Nishank

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

No word limit. 🙂

NinaShepardson
    Participant

You know, given how much Ellison courted controversy, I bet he’d be amused if half of us loved the story and half of us hated it.

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

I think you are right, Nina!

xanthalanari
    Participant

I’d guess more than 50% hated it!

Nishank
    Participant

Yeah, hate is a strong word, but probably dislike.Yes, I disliked it. Wait, no I hated it. Anyway, have submitted it. Had a great time. Thanks for getting me to write, somehow!

Nishank
    Participant

Ok. Hate is not the right word. Dislike! I am trying to find his other stories to read and see if this was an aberration. Has anybody read his work before?

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Does a bear shit in the woods?

Nishank
    Participant

haha. Okay, let me ask it another way. Can you suggest the stories by him which you liked the most?

NinaShepardson
    Participant

@nishank: Have you ever seen the “City on the Edge of Forever” episode of Star Trek? The one where Kirk, Spock, and McCoy go through this big time portal into the 1930s and Kirk falls in love with a woman there? Ellison wrote the original screenplay for that. I think he also did episodes of The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits.

He also wrote “‘Repent, Harlequin!’ Said the Ticktockman.” (I actually reread that one recently; it was in Jeff and Ann VanderMeer’s “The Big Book of Science Fiction.”) “I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream” is pretty famous as well.

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Yeah, I totally second Nina’s story suggestions. He did write for Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, too. If you’ve seen the first Terminator, his screenplays heavily influenced that. I’ll add one more recommendation, a nonfiction book about TV from the 60’s called “The Glass Teat.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.