Home Forums Gauntleteers 2022 First Challenge

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Steven Lugo 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Welcome, brave challengers. You’re here at the cliff’s edge, the only place that would be appropriate to jump. The freefall into cold space, into the one and only tournament begins. The road will not be easy, but we can promise it will be made of memories. So, once again, let us commence with the anti-hero’s journey…

First Challenge: “Flashes of Brilliance”

Your first challenge is to write a flash fiction story of 1,000 words or less using the prompt: a thousand generations.

It is up to you how you use the prompt, but it must be central to the story in some way. In other words, it cannot be some throw-away line of dialogue that has nothing to do with the piece. It might be best to put it this way: it is up to you how you use the prompt, but you will be judged heavily on how well you use it.

WYRM is science fiction and fantasy group, so your story must fall into the speculative fiction genre, even if those elements are soft. It should also go without saying that the story must be newly-written for the Gauntlet.

Your deadline is four weeks from now on Tuesday, October 11 @ 10PM EST.

** In order to submit, you must use this form. But first, you will need to sign up for the Gauntlet! You can do that here.

If you have any questions, you can ask them right here in the forums, or post in the FB group.

We look forward to seeing just what you’ve got in store for us. Remember that only eight entrants can move onto the next round, so send us your best!

See you out there,
    WYRM

dogpack
    Participant

My imagination is pondering and I intend to write with might for reader’s delight. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity.

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

That’s the spirit! Great to see you again, dogpack.

StewartCBaker
    Participant

Flash fiction? Heck yeah!

I plan to use my time wisely, by which I mean I will put off starting anything until the day before the deadline and then scramble to turn it in with minutes to spare.

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

I would expect nothing less, Stewart! And we’re pretty excited about our first flash challenge, too. We’ve got nothing against flash. I just don’t think we’ve ever placed a word limit on anything before. I’m sure our statisticians will correct me any moment though.

What? You think an operation like this wouldn’t have official statisticians?

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

Wait. What if I forgot to feed the statisticians? Oh no.

StewartCBaker
    Participant

As Virgil once said, “Who statisticizes the statisticians?”

I’m pretty sure that’s the correct Latin, anyway.

danielausema
    Participant

I plan to use my time wisely, by which I mean I will put off starting anything until the day before the deadline and then scramble to turn it in with minutes to spare.

Same… Or simply not notice that the prompt is up and then scramble to catch up…

StewartCBaker
    Participant

Same… Or simply not notice that the prompt is up and then scramble to catch up…

Er, you do realize that the prompt is already up, right? 🙂

Culagovski
    Participant

The ‘Tell the world about us in a tweet.’ link doesn’t seem to be working.

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Yes, this is important. The prompt is indeed up, at the top of this thread. It’s also here, only with less sizzle on it: Challenges.

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Welcome to the Gauntlet, Culagovski! We’ll check into that link.

danielausema
    Participant

Er, you do realize that the prompt is already up, right? ?

I did realize that by the time I posted my response, but prior to that…

Another option, of course, is to decide that this time I will start before the last minute after all, get something I really like in theory, and then realize it’s not quite coming together.

danielausema
    Participant

Another option, of course, is to decide that this time I will start before the last minute after all, get something I really like in theory, and then realize it’s not quite coming together.

At which point, I tear the whole thing apart and put it back together in a completely different way, and…hmmm. I don’t know if the judges will like that, but I do.

dogpack
    Participant

The word limit is a very good exercise. Making every word count can be a challenge. My story started out flat but I had the idea written. I’m now using a cloth and polishing every word.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.