Home Forums Gauntleteers 2016 Second Challenge

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Steven Lugo Steven Lugo 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Steven Lugo
    Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Second Challenge: “Tell My Story”

Your next challenge is to write the story of a fictional character who has recently died or disappeared. Relate to us this person’s tale in a speculative fiction story of any length, with any amount of graphic content you wish. Tell us about what led up to their disappearance, and what may be coming next. The narrator’s relationship with this character is for you to decide. There is only one real catch. This story must be written in second person POV.

So, here we go. It’s the first fiction-writing round of the Gauntlet 2016. And in case you were wondering, we have some things we tend to look for in fiction.

Now, hold on. Hold on, Neil Clarke.

We’re not going to back you into a corner with too many requirements. We certainly won’t mimic other publications or contests by presenting you with an exhaustive list of what you can’t do. This is the Gauntlet. We’re not even going to tell you that some stories simply are or are not ‘WYRM’s Gauntlet stories.’ These are your stories. You should work on them, and shop them around, no matter what happens here. All we’re really trying to say is that some key things make good stories, no matter the genre, or venue, and along with your ability to follow our prompt, that’s what we’ll be focusing on.

You know what they are. We value things like good storytelling over shock value, believable characterization, correct punctuation, and a plot, too.

Keep in mind that you only have one week to write this, so it’s best to turn in a good story you can finish rather than an excellent story that you only get half-way done. And if you can’t write that novella you were really hoping to write for the Gauntlet, write that flash fiction piece instead. We judge on quality, not word count.

This is a one-week challenge, so we’d love to entertain your questions while you still have some time.

Deadline: Wednesday, Nov. 9th @ 10PM EST

Onward.

Profile photo of Mr Flibble
    MrFlibble
    Participant

Ooooh, delicious, delicious 2nd person…

Profile photo of Alexis A. Hunter
    AlexisA.Hunter
    Participant

*Evil cackling* Ahhhh, second person. My very favorite. Watch, this’ll be the round I completely bomb. 😀

Profile photo of Shawn Proctor
    ShawnProctor
    Participant

When you say “graphic content,” do you mean violence and gore, or sketches and drawings? I assume the former, but I can do the latter.

Profile photo of Alexis A. Hunter
    AlexisA.Hunter
    Participant

Shawn, I think that means you’re allowed to tell your tale in the form of a comic book… 😉

MrFlibble
    Participant

A comic book entry would destroy me. I can barely draw stick figures on a good day.

ShawnProctor
    Participant

I hope so. I’m 16 pages into drawing the first issue of “Finders Creepers” and just hired Jim Lee, CEO of DC Comics, to be my inker. We have national distribution to comic stores and hooka bars through Diamond. I’m not sparing expenses on this round. The stakes are too high.

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

[leans forward]
    [watches and waits for bombing]

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

These better be some great comic panels, Shawn, because now you’ve built it up too much.

ShawnProctor
    Participant

Oh boy. I probably can’t work fast enough to make that a reality. But it’s a good excuse to show off my Tiefling character portrait from Dungeons & Dragons. My Instagram

Profile photo of Chy Burch
    Chy Burch
    Keymaster

D&Der, represent! Very nice.

MrFlibble
    Participant

Wow, nice!

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Noice!

MrFlibble
    Participant

no ice

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Noyse!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.