Home Forums Gauntleteers 2017 Second Challenge

This topic contains 22 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  BizarroUnitedNations 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Second Challenge: “The Unreliable Narrator”

Tonight, we venture deep into the woods of the American South, to visit upon the story of a hiker who was unlucky enough to cross paths with something unexplained. The story of his encounter first went to the YouTube horror narrator known as Corpse Husband. There, it came to the attention of Gauntlet field agents, and now, the story is turned over to you.

Your next challenge is to listen to the first story on the following video: Creepy & Unexplained. It runs about 6 minutes, and recounts the bizarre circumstances that occurred when someone, or something, appears at the narrator’s campsite. Your task is to write a story—one with some element of speculative fiction—from the point of view of the someone or something in question.

We invite you to give this character/phenomenon an identity, and to write the best story you can from their POV in one week. And obviously, you can invent more than one someone or something.

We have no restrictions against graphic content, and technically, we have no word limit. But remember, 1 week.

Let us know if you have any questions, or problems watching the video, and remember, 1 week. Your story must be submitted by Tuesday, Sep 19th @10PM Eastern Standard Time.

All the Best,
    WYRM

Sammi
    Participant

Well, hello!

shawnproctor
    Participant

Cthulhu

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

null

shawnproctor
    Participant

I love seeing all of the disappointment. That looks like every teacher I had in high school.

[to the tune of Oh my darling, Clementine]
    ~Oh my twerking,
    Oh my twerking,
    Oh my tweeeerking Cthulhu~

~You are lost and gone forever,
    praise to Nodens,
    bless his name~

~In the ocean, that deep ocean,
    sleeping deep in old Rlyeh
    dwelt an old one, tall and scary,
    O it’s twerking Cthulhu~

shawnproctor
    Participant

Oh, my life’s work is complete.

Daydreamer
    Keymaster

I know I’m a bit late to replying, but this whole thread makes me happy. 🙂

shawnproctor
    Participant

Here’s what my writing space looks like right now:

boards

Which might be okay if my writing space wasn’t the inside of my head.

(Also, damn you, Shawn, for that earworm!–and for using the atrocity that is the feature film, which mind you I’ve never actually seen but–okay, is it obvious I’m procrastinating?)

JoshuaHay
    Participant

The Les Mis movie isn’t bad so much as unnecessary, like recent live action remakes of Disney movies.

(Is it obvious I am too?)

Sammi
    Participant

First of all, all anyone knows anymore how to make, movie-wise, is remakes. No one can come up with an original screenplay, anymore, I don’t believe.

Second of all, isn’t the internal writing space supposed to look like that? Because, if not, I am sorely fucked. That’s how the inside of my attic looks all the time. Aside from the trunks and the mannequins with cloths draped over them. And the locked, barred, and chained door, and the painted-over windows. I’ve been able to chip a good sized hole in the paint on one window, so I can see out a little, sometimes.

Aw, hell. I’m probably fucked anyway. It’s dark and maybe a little musty in here. I hope that’s musty. If not, it’s me.

shawnproctor
    Participant

I know it’s TODAY!

Settle in, it’s story time!

Shrek

WAIT.

THE DEADLINE IS TODAY?!

THE DEADLINE WAS NOT YESTERDAY?!

THE DEADLINE IS TODAY!!!

OH THANK KRONK.

*fixes story*

*flexes kronk*

kronk hides against the wall

shawnproctor
    Participant

Good luck!

Tick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.