Home Forums Gauntleteers 2016 Third Challenge

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Shawn Proctor ShawnProctor 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Steven Lugo
    Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Third Challenge: “Regarding Fanfiction”

Your next challenge is to review the following fanfiction piece entitled “A Particle, a Wave” by Archive of Our Own user kvikindi. It was published on 08-18-2014, and is based upon Captain America, set in Marvel’s Cinematic Universe. We want to hear all of your in-depth thoughts on it, up to and including commentary on fanfiction itself.

“A Particle, a Wave”

We are such fans. Did you know? We are fans of all art, sport, and entertainment. From here on out, you may refer to our collective as The WYRM Fanatics. And you know what? Some of us read, and have written, fanfiction.

We are not ashamed. We stand our ground on this. There’s nothing wrong with it. Get off your high horse. Get off. Maybe you’re just not cultured.

Well, for this challenge, we’re going to refine you. You won’t have to be familiar with all forms of art, sport, and entertainment. You will only have to delve into the realm of fanfiction. Some basic knowledge of the modern Captain America movies may help you, though this is not required.

If you’re already a fan, keep in mind that this challenge is asking for a review of the piece linked above, and not a critique of the Captain America films, or any original comic book storylines. (Yes, even that one.) Basically, review it as you would any piece of fiction. The characters may not be kvikindi’s creations, but are they acting believably? The universe this story takes place in may not belong to the author, but is it represented well? Fanfiction demands some different considerations, but it is still fiction, and fiction is meant to be enjoyed and pondered, and therefore deserves a critical eye.

We’d like to ask you one more thing. Some fanfiction writers (the most famous example being E.L. James) have gone on to wild success, if not critical acclaim. Is this all a guilty pleasure with questionable literary value? Is it a worthwhile exercise? However you feel, we want to know why.

This is a one-week challenge. We wish you all the best.

Deadline: Sunday, Nov. 20 @10PM EST

Profile photo of Shawn Proctor
    ShawnProctor
    Participant

Profile photo of Chy Burch
    Chy Burch
    Keymaster

I very much enjoy the combination of user icon and image here, Shawn.

Profile photo of Alexis A. Hunter
    AlexisA.Hunter
    Participant

Perfect, Shawn, just perfect. LOL

Profile photo of Travis Burnham
    Travis Burnham
    Participant

I’d just like to give a shout out to all the Wyrm Keymasters. I’m *really* enjoying this challenge. I think it was a good choice for what to critique and to top it all off I’m learning a lot about fanfiction. Good stuff! Thanks again for this challenge, all of them really, and for running the whole shebang.

Thanks!!!

ShawnProctor
    Participant

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

We’re happy that this challenge has been well received! And there is only 1 day left. Let’s see those entries.

ShawnProctor
    Participant

So, what you’re saying is …

Profile photo of Travis Burnham
    Travis Burnham
    Participant

I am writing! I am! Like a boss:

Typing like a mofo!

And editing editing editing as fast as I can!!!

Editing?!

Errrrmmmmm. Will definitely be uploading soon! One last round of editing!

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

2 hours to go now. Still waiting on one!

ShawnProctor
    Participant

Come on, Gauntleteer! Don’t leave them hanging!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.