Home Forums Gauntleteers 2021 Elimination Round Challenge

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Chy Burch 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Steven Lugo
    Keymaster

Elimination Round Challenge: “A Fistful of Letters”

Welcome to Gauntlet Sudden Death. With two challenges coming at you over the next week or so, it’s not extremely sudden. But it’s a lot more sudden than it would have been originally. You’re now in the Elimination Round, where we will have to say goodbye to one of our brave entrants. Here we go.

Your next challenge is to write us a letter about a story. This is to be an informal letter, not a review, and the story will come from a list we provide.

In the spirit of sharing, we ask you to tell us about the story you’ve chosen. Don’t tell us why you’ve chosen it. Instead, tell us about the story itself. What struck you about it? What ran through your head as you read it? What’s it all about? Should we be looking forward to it?

Your selection of stories to choose from comes from Tor.Com’s August Must-Read Speculative Short Fiction list.

Your letter should begin ‘Dear WYRM (or whatever you want to call us)’ and be written in the first person. Beyond that, it is up to you what you put in this letter. The length, style, and format is yours to decide. However, we cannot overstate that we’re not looking for a formal review. It’s just a personal letter about a story.

The thing about this round is that we aren’t going to read any of the stories until we read your letter. We want to see for ourselves how you prepare us. Have you faithfully recommended something or rightly warded us off? Have you simply led us astray?

This round will be judged on your honesty, understanding of the story in question, and your ability to be earnest. This is a personal letter; it’s not the kind of clean, careful thing we would see in a publication.

You have one week to write us a letter. That puts your deadline at next Saturday night. That is: Saturday, October 16th @10PM EST.

One Gauntleteer must be eliminated at the conclusion of this round. All of our best to you during Sudden Death. We hope that you are the one who survives.

Round Deadline: Saturday, October 16th @10PM EST.

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

I for one am ridiculously excited about this round. It was not on the roster for this year; sudden death made it possible. I can’t wait to see what you say to us about your chosen story, and how that colors the way we go on to read the stories.

DimitraNikolaidou
    Participant

You know, for a moment I considered addressing the letter to a fictional wyrm, which reads books in its cave and eats obnoxious reviewers.
    Then I thought better of it.

DimitraNikolaidou
    Participant

I had to submit three times – I seem to remember that the system retains the last document only, right?

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

Ah, no; all three are there. But we only judge the last submission made before the deadline. Some judges do read submissions as they come in, though. That means that, while the last of your entries that are submitted before the deadline will be the one that’s judged, some judges may read earlier submissions.

R.S.A. Garcia
    Participant

Wow! You submitted THREE TIMES already, Dimitra? Fantastic!

Working hard so I can join you soon!

DimitraNikolaidou
    Participant

Hey, an actual wyrm!

R.S.A. Garcia
    Participant

Lol, that’s half the reason I signed up. I love wyrms, dragons, you name ’em.

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

‘Tis a fine wyrm indeed!

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

You know, for a moment I considered addressing the letter to a fictional wyrm, which reads books in its cave and eats obnoxious reviewers.

I’m not sure why you think that’s fictional. You’ve described the members of WYRM pretty damn well.

DimitraNikolaidou
    Participant

Since you’re all candid about your actual visage, I added a realistic profile picture too. Fluffy dragon in a cave, masquerading as something cute.

Chy Burch
    Keymaster

Bestest disguise!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.